Editor’s Note: We continue our series of blogs for those who are reading the Bible with us cover-to-cover this year. Interspersed with our thoughts on our daily reading, we want to provide some tips about reading the Bible in general.
2 Chronicles: The Spiritual Evaluation of Judah’s Kings
The old adage, “What goes up, must come down” is verified in this book. In the book of 2 Chronicles we see the glory days of Solomon’s early years and the political disasters brought about by his moral failures. This book confirms the truth; “Everything rises and falls on leadership.” Again we divide the book into two parts. Today we look at the first part of the book.
The Temple Is Constructed By the Workmen of King Solomon (1-9)
In this section we can see:
- Solomon knows the leadership of the nations requires great wisdom, which he asks and receives from God. (2 Chronicles 1)
- Solomon knows the construction of the temple requires great resources, which he asks and receives from Hiram, King of Tyre. (2 Chronicles 2)
- Solomon knows the adornments of the temple require fabulous extravagance, which he sets Huram to accomplish. (2 Chronicles 3-4)
- Solomon knows the worship in the temple requires God’s wonderful Presence, which he asks the Lord to provide. (2 Chronicles 5-7)
- Solomon knows the blessing of the Lord requires his complete diligence, which he sets out to fulfill. (2 Chronicles 8-9)
There is a key lesson from this section of God’s Word: Pray big prayers, expect great things from God as you walk fully, humbly in His presence.
It is our hope that this background information helps a bit as you read on in the Bible.
For daily insights into the passage we are reading together each day, you can follow Dr. Smith on Twitter and on Facebook.
You can obtain more help from the FREE Bible reading schedule on our resource page. In His Image is a daily devotional that also follows our reading schedule and expresses the Biblical truth: “God Created You to Love You.” You can find this resource on the side bar of our website.
Join Dr. Smith in Oshkosh Wisconsin This Weekend!